Sunday, November 25, 2012

thanksgiving


Thanksgiving was tasty. I made: a pumpkin dip with (store bought) ginger snaps, lemon poppyseed cake, 2 pecan pies, Mac n cheese, green bean casserole, sweet potato souffle, and 4 loaves of rosemary bread. I'm a dumbass and left my camera at home, so I didn't get a single picture! My hub fried a turkey, and it came out totally delicious.
Ok, I have to say that I'm not a huge fan of "southern" food...like the cholesterol bombs and fried everythings...like I HATE fried chicken with a psychotic fervor. But for some reason I think fried turkey is delicious. So brad's turkey was damn near perfect, in my opinion. And I'm not just saying that because I'll have to listen to his offended posturing if I say it sucked...it really was tasty! My food...I didn't use canned anything, because I'm a snob. I used a béchamel sauce as a base for the green beans and Mac n cheese. (ton of béchamel, some bacon, cheese & onions, then add the macaroni or green beans) to top the green beans, my MIL suggested smashing the hell out of butter & herb croutons. It turned out really tasty. The Mac n cheese, however...sigh...I made the casserole & it was all put together, awaiting its turn in the oven...And my MIL decided to "finish it" by dumping a freaking MOUNTAIN of sharp cheddar on the top of it. And I mean a mountain! So my delicate, moderately healthy-ish dish became a cholesterol bomb. Ah well. I was out-numbered by southerners, and she'd been a really good sport by letting me cook "my" foods, so I didn't freak out or anything heinous like that. My lemon poppyseed cake was yummy but in true form for me was lopsided and ugly as hell. I suck at baking. My baked goods almost always taste really good...but Christ it's ALWAYS hideous to look at!!
The only crap part of the holiday was the almost 2 hour drive. I thought I was going to DIE by the time I finally un-wedged myself out of the car. Holy hell that was uncomfortable.
My kid got to bask in a ridiculous amount of attention, but didn't get so over-stimulated that I have to spend a week reprogramming him! So all in all, it was a good holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment