Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Dreaming is Free

Sometimes I'll have a dream that's so strange or vivid or overarchingly NORMAL that it'll throw me for a loop for a few days.
I've always had really vivid dreams, and usually they're pretty strange as far as dreams go...I can remember dreams that I had when we lived in Arizona, which means that I was 3 or 4 at the time.  The only period of my life when I didn't have crazy dreams was when I was heavily medicated -- I guess a cocktail of anti-depressants, xanax and sleeping pills made for a kind of sleep amnesia.  It took me a few weeks to notice that I couldn't remember my dreams anymore, and once I realized it, I missed them.  After a few months, I started getting pissed off that I couldn't remember.  Once I went off the crazy pill mix, it took maybe 2 months to start remembering my dreams again all the time.
I also had a dip in dreaming activity for a month or so after each kiddie was born.  The frustrating part of those periods is that I'd dream...I'd know that I'd been dreaming, I just couldn't remember...unlike when I was on the crazy pills, when I'd go to sleep and wake up 10 seconds later to find that 9 hours had passed and that I'd sleep-cooked an eggplant lasagna.  Strange times.
Last night I had this crazy dream that involved missing a train, Brad leaving me behind at some weird big house to "catch up" after I'd finished packing my stuff, his stuff, and Kevin's stuff (a friend of ours from Florence who wasn't even in the damn dream...just a suitcase full of his stuff!!)  Needless to say, I missed the train and I tried to talk this girl Michelle (a friend of Brad's from Florence that I've only met one time) into driving me (in a Jeep...with no top...at night...in the rain...) to the next station to try to catch the train there. 
It didn't work.  We kept getting delayed...in loading the Jeep, in a traffic jam, at the station itself...but I never felt frantic in this dream.  It was like mild irritation, and I was annoyed as hell at Brad for taking off without waiting for me. 
Sometimes I dream that I'm smoking.  Which is pretty odd, as I've never smoked in my life.  I've actually been working on writing down my serial dreams.  I rarely have what I'd consider typical serial dreams; the ones where my dreams turn into a soap opera, and there's a progression.  But what I DO have is the same damn places, buildings, images that appear over and over in my dreams.  The dream itself will be different, but the landscape is all recycled.  It's disconcerting.
I'm rambling right now because it's 230am, I'm exhausted and stressed to my personal limit.  So...I guess I'll stop for tonight. 
Sweet dreams!  <3

No comments:

Post a Comment