Saturday, February 23, 2013

Ooohhh Florence

I don't really have anything to say tonight, but I'm feeling lonely and don't really have anybody to talk to, so I'll let my fingers talk to my laptop, I guess.
Brad and I (and the boys) went to Florence yesterday to a dinner with Carolyn's parents, sister, husband, kids and a few of her friends...it was really kind of awesome...as awesome as anything like that can go, anyway.  Everybody was really upbeat, and people broke out the 20+ year old photographs and told stories.  Carolyn & Jody's 2 youngest kids got to hold Liam, and a girl that beat the everlasting shit out of me in the 10th grade friended me on facebook.  Then we went out to a bar (owned by one of my hub's old friends) with Liz (one of my hub's ex girlfriends) and we really had fun.  I think it's the first time in a LOOOOOOOOOOOONG time (ok, maybe forever) that I've had fun in Florence. 
Right now I'm back home, I just drank a beer and I'm feeling....I don't know...edgy.  Being out and around people (once I got over the initial horror about being out and around people) was lovely.  I'd forgotten how to talk in complete sentences to people that talk back.  And my kid...siiiiiiiiiiiiigh....there were a few other kids there, one was only a month older than Dylan, and a 3 or 4 year old, and a 4 or 5 year old...they were all running around playing with each other, and my child kind of stood there watching them play and smiling.  It made my heart ache.  I really really REALLY don't want my kid to be as socially awkward as I was/am. I was never around other kids until I was 3, and I never really felt comfortable around people.  Ever.  I don't want my kid to be awkward.  I want him to be able to interact with people his own age.  But I don't know how to fix this.  I want to put him into some sort of social thing but we can't afford any of them.  I don't have any local friends with kids my kid's age.  I don't know how to keep him from being like me...34 and talking to an anonymous blog at 11pm.
He did eventually play with Carla's little boy, but there was a good 20 minutes where I watched him and just wanted to cry.  I went to my friend Anne's house last week and Dylan was watching her son (who's a tween) and his friends ramble about in the kitchen...watching from the outside looking in, which is what I've always done.  God it hurt to watch.
In not so morbid news, my BFF has started her own blog, and always one to out-do me, she's way too fancy for gmail blogging and has set up her own site for real...smarty pants.  She asked me to write up one of my recipes for her site, and so I did.  She still hasn't POSTED the damn thing yet, but she's a slow-poke sometimes with things like that.  But anyway, she has some crazy intricate recipes on her site, so if you're feeling kitchen-ly masochistic, check her out: http://stuffandbother.com/blog/
And my food porn for the last few days: I cooked a chicken in the crock pot, and made caramelized turnips to go with it (and leftover risotto).  I also made crock pot fajitas, and made my own tortillas with which to eat said fajitas.
Yum.
Oh, and berry empanadas for dessert (served with ice cream and a splash of the berry filling as topping)





No comments:

Post a Comment