So for my wine-guzzling people (speaking of whine) : ever wonder what the hell is ACTUALLY meant by "citrus overtones" or "hint of ripe berries" in wine descriptions? That used to bug me...like I'd drink wine and be all "yum", "that tastes like a barn door" or "holy hell that would taste lovely poured over my pancakes" and that was about as refined as my palette got. Then I worked at a wine shop for a few months and one of the wineaux people told me to buy a jug of cheap-ass white or red wine (and we're talking box wine or one of those god-awful jugs) and drop a piece of fruit in it and let it sit for a few minutes. And when you take a drink, that slightly infused flavor is what is meant by "citrus overtones" or "crisp apple" or whatever. So I experimented. A lot. And what I discovered was that if you dropped a piece of complimentary fruit into a glass of decent (but not fantastic wine) it will enhance the flavor. MMmmmm...you can TOTALLY get away with drinking $5 wine without having to scrape your tongue with sandpaper after every sip!
So we had a bottle of cheap sparkling wine left over from New Years (I'd intended to make mimosas but lost motivation after one bottle. There's just something self-limiting about drinking something THAT sweet and alcoholic that early in the day...) and we also had some blackberries that were not quite as juicy as they should be. So I combined them, and all of a sudden, my $5 spumante was drinkable, and my less-than-plump blackberries were sweet and (dare I say) moist! Plus, it's pretty. So ignore the fingerprints on my glass (yeah, I'm barbaric and put my grubby fingers on the glass...)
And that was my evening, I suppose. Exciting, right? I'm still tunneling through the fog of sleep deprivation and PPD, I guess. It's amazing sometimes that I manage to eat anything other than frozen pizza and Ramen. The fog IS clearing though, so I should be able to write more frequently. Yippee!
No comments:
Post a Comment